I wanted at least 15inch display processor i7-8750H, reasonable graphics P1000, at least max 64GB RAM, RJ45, trackpoint, physical resilience. I decided to buy ZBook 15 G5 over Thinkpad P52 and Precision 7530 and below are my reasons.
I also shortly considered a wild card 14inch Latitude 5491 as it had attractive price, but it missed too many of the requirements (poor cooling, low max ram, poor physical resilience, low graphics).
- max RAM 128GB
- best trackpoint
- worst cooling (single heatpipe, prolonged cinebench performance dropoff)
- replaceable battery
- medium physical resilience
- max RAM 128GB
- worst trackpoint
- medium cooling
- no replaceable battery
- less physical resilience
- extra M.2 drive slot
ZBook 15 G5
- max RAM only 64GB
- medium trackpoint
- very good cooling but after repaste
- replaceable battery (tooless access also to RAM, HDD)
- best physical resilience (aluminium)
Update on ZBook G5 15
I bought ZBook G5 15:
- Charging port is too thin and probably will be damaged soon
- Page Up, Page Down keys are not as conveniently placed as on Thinkpads
- Home, End, Insert keys were replaced by useless keys Desktop, Call, Hang Up contrary to Thinkpad
- Home, End moved to the top right
- Insert key completely removed!
- Up and Down keys are stupidly thin!
- While the notebook should have passed MIL tests it doesnt really seem resilient as Thinkpad
- Without repaste the performance on Cinebench R15 drops to 1030 the same as on Thinkpad P52
- Overall, I think I will be replacing the notebook with P52
Update on P52 2019-05-07
So far minor issues
- Refuses to charge sometimes even with 170W charger. Seems to be getting worse.
- Display cover seems too easy to bend
- LTE modem supported but not yet installed in my version